You can select objects when no command is running and then
select the desired object property on the Object Properties toolbar.
- when you use this approach you will override the corresponding property that is assigned to these selected objects BYLAYER.
- for example, you can explicitly assign a color to selected objects.
Objects Not Selected
- You can also select properties from the Object Properties toolbar when there are no objects selected.
- the objects you draw after that will explicitly have that property and it will override the corresponding property set BYLAYER.
- for example, you could make Red the current color and new objects that you draw on any layer would then be red.
- Assigning object properties explicitly is not good CAD practice because you lose the ability to change objects BYLAYER. you should avoid explicitly assigning object properties and assign object properties BYLAYER instead.